GIST Information Sheet 2019/2020
○ Full legal name: Gwangju Institute of Science and Technology
○ Location: 123 Cheomdangwagi-ro, Buk-gu, Gwangju, 61005, South Korea
○ The section of public affairs - Head: Ms. Miyeon Kim (firstname.lastname@example.org) - Student Exchange: Soyoung Kim (email@example.com), Seulhye Kim (firstname.lastname@example.org)
○ Website: https://www.gist.ac.kr/en/
○ Language: Korean/English - GIST offers a number of courses in English for the 0th and 0th year students (00 subjects in Spring 2019, 00 subjects in Fall 2019)
- Minimum 1 year of full-time study at home university(BS) - GPA(Grade Point Average) of 3.0 or better (on a 4.3 Point scale)
- English Language Proficiency level in accordance with GIST requirement when English is not the first language (TOEFL IBT 80 or its equivalent in other English language proficiency test)
* It would be waived for the students from English medium institutions.
* If the student does not have the score of English language proficiency level, the certificate issued by home university’s language center is possible.
- The student will study at GIST for one or two semesters and pay tuition fees to their home university.
○ Nomination by Email
- Please send a nomination to email@example.com before informing your students to proceed with the online registration.
(attached excel file);
- The student should first contact the Exchange Coordinator at your home university.
GIST will only process applications that have been nominated by the home institution.
- 2020 Spring Semester: October 1st 2019 - 2020 Fall Semester: April 20st 2020 (Undetermined)
○ Application Procedure - Complete the online application form and Upload
(1) Original (Official) Transcripts; All in English,
(2) English Language Proficiency Test Result,
(3) Copy of Valid Passport. (Front page, not cover / check the expiration),
(4) Official Photo(3cm x 4cm).
* All applicants have to receive GIST’s online registration link and a nomination code in order to sign up on our webpage. The code will be provided to the exchange coordinator of home university.
2020 Spring Semester October 10th - October 25th 2019 - 2020 Fall Semester March 15th - March 31th 2019 (Undetermined)
* After a screening procedure, the student can get a notification of acceptance by email in December 2020 (for Spring semester)
○ Course information
- The student should take minimum 12 credits (4 courses in general), maximum 24 credits (8 courses in general)
- The course list for 2020 Spring semester for exchange student will be open soon. The link will be sent to the coordinator.
Before that, Students can get a rough look at what classes we have in our school here: https://college.gist.ac.kr/college_eng/sub03_01_01.do - Course registration procedures will be informed after the application process.
* The academic transcripts will be delivered to a coordinator at your home institution. It will take 1-2 months after the semester has ended.
○ Academic Calendar
- 2019 Fall Semester: September 2nd – December 13th, 2019 - 2020 Spring Semester: February 2nd– June 12nd, 2020(To be determined)
* For more details, visit https://www.gist.ac.kr/en/
- Dormitories are provided for all exchange students.
- The room is for 2 people, furnished with beds, closets, desks, and chairs. (blankets and pillows included) Shared facilities include restrooms, showers, study rooms, washing machines, clothes dryer, and a lobby.
- All types of heaters and cooking equipment are not allowed.
○ Cost - Approximately USD 60 per month
○ VISA - All applicants who are not Korean need a visa to study in Korea. In order to get a visa, you must apply for one with the original certificate of admission issued by GIST at the embassy or consulate of the Republic of Korea in your home country.
* The certificate of admission will be sent to the student on Dec 2019.
○ Health Insurance
- GIST does not provide any insurance for exchange students. Although the limit of coverage is up to each student, all incoming exchange students must acquire health insurance that covers them during the full duration of their stay overseas.
○ Arrival Dates / Orientation
- The student should arrive before a week prior to the beginning of the semester.
- Individual orientation by our exchange coordinators will be proceeded