Water Quality & Treatment Laboratory (WQTL) investigates major water quality issues and develops/optimizes advanced water treatment and resource recovery processes for safe drinking water supply, sustainable water resource management and protection of aquatic ecosystems that are continuing challenging issues in the community of water scientists and engineers worldwide.
Water quality and treatment, drinking water chemistry
Oxidation/disinfection processes for water and wastewater treatment
Gravity-driven membrane (GDM) process as appropriate drinking water technology
2001 - 2005 / Ph.D. School of Chemical and Biological Engineering, Seoul National University, Seoul, Korea
1999 - 2000 / M.S. School of Chemical Engineering, Seoul National University, Seoul, Korea
1995 - 1998 / B.S. School of Chemical Engineering, Seoul National University, Seoul, Korea
2014 - Visiting research scientist, EPFL, Laboratory for water quality and treatment (Prof. Dr. Urs von Gunten Group)
2011 - Professor, GIST-Gwangju Institute of Science & Technology, Schol of Environmental Science and Engineering, Gwangju, Korea
2006 - 2011 Post-doctoral research scientist, Eawag, Water Resources and Drinking Water Department (Dr. Urs von Gunten Group), Swiss Federal Institute of Aquatic Science and Technology, Switzerland
Since 2013, Editor of Journal of Environmental Chemical Engineering http://www.journals.elsevier.com/journal-of-environmental-chemical-engineering
Since 2016, Advisory board member of Environmental Science & Technology Letter http://pubs.acs.org/page/estlcu/editors.html
2014 - 2017, Editorial board member of Environmental Science: Water Research & Technology http://pubs.rsc.org/en/journals/journalissues/ew#!issueid=&type=current
2019.October. Co-organizer of 11th Micropol & Ecohazard international conference (IWA), Seoul
2018. Sep, Co-organizer of 3rd Busan Water International Workshop on Drinking water quality and treatment, Busan Bexco
2017. Sep, Co-organizer of 2nd Busan Water International Workshop on Advanced Technologies for Water Treatment, Busan Bexco
2016. March, Co-organizer of Busan Water International Workshop on NOM and Control of DBPs, Busan Bexco
Since 2015, Board member of IWA Specialist Conference on Assessment and Control of Micropollutants and Hazardous Substances in Water
2014, Co-organizer of workshop-oxidation technologies for advanced water treatment: present and future, Seoul National University (supported by BK21plus), April 11.
2011 - 2015 Program manager for International Environmental Analysis and Education Center (IEAEC), GIST. http://www.ists.unu.edu/
Peer reviewers for Environmental Science & Technology (Excellence in review award, 2015), Environmental Science & Technology Letter (Excellence in review award, 2017), Water Research, ES-Water Research & Technology (Outstanding reviewer, 2017), Chemosphere, J.Hazard. Material, Chemical Engineering Journal, Science of Total Environment, Ozone Sci. Eng.
“육상양식장 배출수내 유해물질 처리를 위한 장치개발, 한국해양과학 기술진흥원, 2015 - 2017년 (연구책임자)
“조류, 조류기인 유해물질 및 소독부산물의 수처리 공정내 거동과 제거특성 파악을 통한 정수처리 최적화 (Fate and removal of algae, algal-derived hazardous substances, and disinfection byproducts in drinking water treatment: process understanding and optimization), 미래부-사회문제해결형 기술개발 사업, 2014 - 2016년 (세부참여연구원)
“산화수처리에서 니트로(소) 화합물의 생성: 화학 및 독성학적 특성 분석 및 생성억제 전략 개발 (Formation of nitro(so) compounds during oxidative water treatment: chemical and toxicological characterization and mitigation strategy development) 연구재단-중견 핵심연구, 2014 - 2016년 (연구책임자)
“에코스마트 상수도시스템 개발사업단, 6세부-수질 맞춤형 정수처리 공정개발, 수질오염사고 대응 고도정수처리 모사기 개발, 환경부, 2014 - 2015년 (세세부참여연구원)
“녹조기인 주요유해물질 오염물질 대비 최적 정수처리 기술개발’ KIST OPEN RESEARCH PROGRAM, 녹조방제기술개발, 2013 년 (위탁연구 책임자)
“수처리 공정 및 자연수계에서 산화 및 광화학반응에 의한 신종오염물질의 산화변환: 반응속도, 산화반응 부산물 및 독성변화연구 (Transformation of emerging contaminants of concern by oxidative (photo)chemical reactions in technical and natural systems)’ 연구재단-신진연구, 2012 - 2015년 (연구책임자)
“광주지역 정수장의 오존 및 활성탄 고도정수처리 도입을 위한 기초연구’ 광주녹색환경지원센터, 2012년 (연구책임자)
54. Huan He, Peiran Zhou, Kyle K. Shimabuku, Xuzhi Fang, Shu Li, Yunho Lee, and Michael C. Dodd, Degradation and Deactivation of Bacterial Antibiotic Resistance Genes during Exposure to Free Chlorine, Monochloramine, Chlorine Dioxide, Ozone, Ultraviolet Light, and Hydroxyl Radical, Environmental Science & Technology, 2019, 53, 2013-2026.
53. Mingbao Feng, J. Clayton Baum, Nasri Nesnas, Yunho Lee, Ching-Hua Huang, and Virender K. Sharma, Oxidation of Sulfonamide Antibiotics of Six-Membered Heterocyclic Moiety by Ferrate(VI): Kinetics and Mechanistic Insight into SO2 Extrusion, Environmental Science & Technology, 2019, 53, 2695-2704.
52. Jihee Kim, Jisook Yang, Yunho Lee, Giehyeon Lee, Woojin Lee, Seunghee Hana, Contribution of dissolved organic matter to the photolysis of methylmercury, Marine Chemistry, 2018, 207, 13-20.
51. Jaedon Shin, Urs von Gunten, David A. Reckhow, Sebastien Allard, Yunho Lee*, Reactions of ferrate(VI) with iodide and hypoiodous acid: kinetics, pathways, and implications for the fate of iodine during water treatment, Environmental Science & Technology, 2018, 52, 7458-7467.
50. Younggun Yoon, Michael C. Dodd, Yunho Lee* Elimination of transforming activity and gene degradation during UV and UV/H2O2 treatment of plasmid-encoded antibiotic resistance genes, Environmental Science: Water Research & Technology, 2018, 4, 1203-1378.
49. Ananna Islam, Dahee Jeon, Jiwoon Ra, Jaedon Shin, Tae-Young Kim, Yunho Lee*, Transformation of microcystin-LR during water treatment with ferrate(VI): Oxidative cleavage of olefinic double bonds as the primary reaction pathway, Water Research, 2018, 141,268-278.
48. Hoonsik Yoom, Jaedon Shin, Jiwoon Ra, Heejong Son, Dongchoon Ryu, Changwon Kim, Yunho Lee*, Transformation of methylparaben during water chlorination: Effects of bromide and dissolved organic matter on reaction kinetics and transformation pathways, Science of the Total Environment, 2018, 634, 677-686.
47. Jaedon Shin, Donghyeon Lee, Tae-Mun Hwang, Yunho Lee, Oxidation kinetics of algal-derived taste and odor compounds during water treatment with ferrate(VI), Chemical Engineering Journal, 2018, 334, 1065-1073.
46. Hyun Min Jang, Young Beom Kim, Sangki Choi, Yunho Lee, Seung Gu Shin, Tatsuya Unno, Young Mo Kim, Prevalence of antibiotic resistance genes from effluent of coastal aquaculture, South Korea, Environmental Pollution, 2018, 233, 1049-1057.
45. Young Beom Kim, Jong Hun Jeon, Sangki Choi, Jingyeong Shin, Yunho Lee, Young Mo Kim, Use of a filtering process to remove solid waste and antibiotic resistance, Science of the Total Environment, 2018, 615, 289-296.
44. Young-Gun Yoon, Hay Jung Chung, Doris Yoong Wen Di, Michael C. Dodd, Hor-Gil Hur, Yunho Lee*, Inactivation efficiency of plasmid-encoded antibiotic resistance genes during water treatment with chlorine, UV, and UV/H2O2, Water Research, 2017, 123, 783-793.
44. Dongwhi Lee, Yuri Lee, Shin Sik Choi, Sang-Ho Lee, Jyoung-Woong Kim, Yunho Lee*, Effect of membrane property and feed water organic matter quality on long-term peformance of the gravity-driven membrane filtration process, Environ.Sci.Pollut.Res., 2019, 26, 1152-1162.
43. Woojung Kim, Yunho Lee, Sang Don Kim, 2017, Developing and applying a site-specific multimedia fate model to address ecological risk of oxytetracycline discharged with aquaculture effluent in coastal waters off Jangheung, Korea, Ecotoxicology and Environmental Safety, 2017, 145, 221-226.
42. Soyoung Na and Yunho Lee*, Elimination of organic micropollutants during enhanced wastewater treatment with horseradish peroxidase-hydrogen peroxide (HRP-H2O2) catalytic process, Catalyst Today, 2017, 282, 86-94 .
41. Jaedon Shin and Yunho Lee*, Elimination of organic contaminants during oxidative water treatment with ferrate(VI): reaction kinetics and transformation products, ACS Symposium Series, Ferrites and Ferrates: Chemistry and Applications in Sustainable Energy and Environmental Remediation, 2016, Ch.10, 255-273.
40. Sungeun Lim, Woongbae Lee, Soyoung Na, Jaedon Shin, and Yunho Lee*, N-nitrosodimethylamine (NDMA) formation during ozonation of N,N-dimethylhydrazine compounds: Reaction kinetics, mechanisms, and implications for NDMA formation control, Water Res., 2016, 105, 119-128.
39. H.Y.Yoo, S. Yan, J. Ra, D. Jeon, B. Goh,T. Kim, Y. Mackeyeve, Y. Ahn, H. Kim, L.J. Wilson,P.J.J. Alvarezh, Y. Lee, W.Song, S. Hong, J. Kim,J. Lee, Tin porphyrin immobilization significantly enhances visible-light-photosensitized degradation of Microcystins:Mechanistic implications, Applied Catalysis B: Environment, 2016, 199, 33-34.
38. Sze Yee Wee, Tuan Fauzan Tuan Omar, Ahmad Zaharin Aris, Yunho Lee, Surface Water Organophosphorus Pesticides Concentration and Distribution in the Langat River, Selangor, Malaysia, Exposure Health, 2016, 1-15.
37. Dahee Jeon, Jisoo Kim, Jaedon Shin, Zahra Ramadhany Hidayat, Syoung Na, Yunho Lee*, Transformation of ranitidine during water chlorination and ozonation: moiety-specific reaction kinetics and elimination efficiency of NDMA formation potential, J. Hazard. Material., 2016, 318(15), 802-809.
36. Yunho Lee*, Stefanie Imminger, Nadine Czekalski, Urs von Gunten, Frederik Hammes*, Inactivation efficiency of Escherichia coli and autochthonous bacteria during ozonation of municipal wastewater effluents quantified with flow cytometry and adenosine tri-phosphate analyses, Water Res., 2016, 101, 617-627.
35. Daniel Gerrity*, Yunho Lee*, Sujanie Gamage, Minju Lee, A. Pisarenko, Rebecca A. Trenholm, Silvio Canonica, Urs von Gunten, Shane A. Snyder, Emerging investigator series: prediction of trace organic contaminant abatement with UV/H2O2: development and validation of semi-empirical models for municipal wastewater effluents, Environmental Science: Water Research & Technology, 2016, 2, 460-473 (selected as editor’s choice and recent hot article)
34. Yunho Lee* and Urs von Gunten*, Advances in predicting organic contaminant abatement during ozonation of municipal wastewater effluent: reaction kinetics, transformation products, and changes of biological effects, Environmental Science: Water Research & Technology, 2016, 2, 421-442 (selected as editor’s choice).
33. Yunho Lee*, Daniel Gerrity*, Minju Lee, Sujanie Gamage, A. Pisarenko, Rebecca A. Trenholm, Silvio Canonica, Shane A. Snyder, Urs von Gunten, Organic Contaminant Abatement in Reclaimed Water by UV/H2O2 and a Combined Process Consisting of O3/H2O2 Followed by UV/H2O2: Prediction of Abatement Eﬃciency, Energy Consumption, and Byproduct Formation, Environmental Science & Technology, 2016, 50, 3809-3819.
32. Jaedon Shin, H. Zahra, Yunho Lee*, Influence of seasonal variation of water temperature and dissolved organic matter on ozone and OH radical reaction kinetics during ozonation of a lake water. Ozone Sci. Eng. 38, 100-114.
31. Sung Kyu Maeng, Kangwoo Cho, Boyoung Jeong, Jaesang Lee, Yunho Lee, Changha Lee, Kyoung Jin Choi, Seok Won Hong, Substrate-immobilized electrospun TiO2 nanofibers for photocatalytic degradation of pharmaceuticals: The effects of pH and dissolved organic matter characteristics, Water Res., 2015, 86, 25-34
30. Hyun-Chul Kim, Jin Hyung Noh, So-Ryong Chae, Jaewon Choi, Yunho Lee, Sung Kyu Maeng, A multi-parametric approach assessing microbial viability and organic matter characteristics during managed aquifer recharge, Sci. Total. Environ. 2015, 524-525, 290-299.
29. Eunyoung Kang, Yunho Lee, Kangmin Chon, and Jaeweon Cho, Effects of hydrodynamic conditions (diffusion vs. convection) and solution chemistry on effective molecular weight cut-off of negatively charged nanofiltration membranes, Desalination, 2014, 352, 136-141.
28. Anggita Karlesa, Glen Andrew D. De Vera, Jihye Park, Michael Dodd, Maria Pythias B. Espino, and Yunho Lee*, Ferrate(VI) oxidation of -lactam antibiotics: reaction kinetics, antibacterial activity changes, and transformation products, Environmental Science & Technology, 2014, 48, 10380-10389.
27. Yunho Lee*, Lubomira Koalova, Christa S. McArdell, Urs von Gunten, Prediction of micropollutant elimination during ozonation of a hospital wastewater effluent. Water Research, 2014, 64, 134-148.
26. Yunho Lee*, Reinhard Kissner, Urs von Gunten, Reaction of Ferrate (Fe(VI)) with ABTS and Fe(VI) (Self-decay): Kinetics and Mechanism, Environmental Science & Technology, 2014, 48, 5154-5162.
25. Kangmin Chon, Yunho Lee, Jacqueline Traber, Urs von Gunten, Quantification and characterization of dissolved organic nitrogen in wastewater effluents by electrodialysis treatment followed by size-exclusion chromatography with nitrogen detection. Water Research, 2013, 47, 5381-5391.
24. Minju Lee, Yunho Lee, Fabian Soltermann, Urs von Gunten, Analysis of N-nitrosamines and other Nitro(so) compounds in Water by High-Performance Liquid Chromatography with Post-column UV Photolysis / Griess Reaction. Water Research, 2013, 47, 4893-4903.
23. Yunho Lee*, Daniel Gerrity, Minju Lee, Angel Encinas Bogeat, Elisabeth Salhi, Sujanie Gamage, Rebecca A. Trenholm, Eric C. Wert, Shane A. Snyder, Urs von Gunten, Prediction of micropollutant elimination during ozonation of municipal wastewater effluents: Use of kinetic and water specific information. Environmental Science & Technology, 2013, 47, 5872-5881.
22. Yunho Lee*, Urs von Gunten, Quantitative Structure-Activity Relationships (QSARs) for the Transformation of Organic Micropollutants during Oxidative Water Treatment. Water Research, 2012, 46, 6177-6195.
21. Daniel Gerritya, Sujanie Gamage, Darryl Jones, Gregory V. Korshin, Yunho Lee, Aleksey Pisarenko, Rebecca A. Trenholm, Urs von Gunten, Eric C. Wert, Shane A. Snyder, Development of Surrogate Correlation Models to Predict Trace Organic Contaminant Oxidation and Microbial Inactivation during Ozonation, Water Research, 2012, 46, 6257-6272.
20. Ji Ho Lee, John L. Zhou, Yunho Lee, Seok-Young Oh, and Sang Don Kim. Changes in the sorption and rate of 17-estradiol biodegradation by dissolved organic matter collected from different water sources. Journal of Environmental Monitoring, 2012, 14, 543-551.
19. Yunho Lee* and Urs von Gunten. Oxidative transformation of micropollutants during municipal wastewater treatment: comparison of kinetic aspects of selective (chlorine, chlorine dioxide, ferrateVI, and ozone) and non-selective oxidants (hydroxyl radicals). Water Research, 2010, 44, 555-566.
18. Kui-Jae Lee, Yunho Lee, Jeyong Yoon, Seralathan Kamala-Kannan, Seung-Moon Park, and Byung-Taek Oh. Assessment of zero-valent iron as a permeable reactive barrier for long-term removal of arsenic compounds from synthetic water. Environmental Technology, 2009, 30(13), 1425-1434.
17. Yunho Lee*, Saskia Gisela Zimmermann, Anh Trung Kieu and Urs von Gunten. Ferrate (Fe(VI)) application for municipal wastewater treatment: a novel process for simultaneous micropollutant oxidation and phosphate removal. Environmental Science & Technology, 2009, 43, 3831-3838.
16. Yunho Lee*, and Urs von Gunten. Transformation of 17-ethinylestradiol during water chlorination: effect of bromide on kinetics, products, and transformation pathways. Environmental Science &Technology, 2009, 43, 480-487.
15. Yunho Lee*, Beate I. Escher, and Urs von Gunten. Efficient removal of estrogenic activity during oxidative treatment of waters containing steroid estrogens. Environmental Science & Technology, 2008, 42, 6333-6339.
14. Changha Lee, Yunho Lee, Carsten Schmidt, Jeyong Yoon, and Urs von Gunten. Oxidation of suspected N-nitrosodimethylamine (NDMA) precursors by ferrate (VI): kinetics and effect on the NDMA formation potential of natural waters. Water Research, 2008, 42, 433-441.
13. Yuseung Choi, Min Cho, Yunho Lee, Jung Choi, and Jeyong Yoon. Inactivation of Bacillus subtilis spores during ozonation in water treatment plant: Influence of pre-treatment and consequences for positioning of the ozonation step. Chemosphere, 2007, 69, 675-681.
12. Min Cho, Yunho Lee, Wonyong Choi, Hyenmi Chung, and Jeyong Yoon. Study on Fe(VI) species as a disinfectant: Quantitative evaluation and modeling for inactivating Escherichia coli. Water Research, 2006, 40, 3580-3586.
11. Changha Lee, Yunho Lee, and Jeyong Yoon, Oxidative degradation of dimethylsulfoxide by locally concentrated hydroxyl radicals in streamer corona discharge process. Chemosphere, 2006, 65(7), 1163-1170.
10. Yunho Lee*, Jeyong Yoon, and Urs von Gunten, Kinetics of the oxidation of phenols and phenolic endocrine disruptors during water treatment with ferrate (Fe(VI)). Environmental Science & Technology, 2005, 39, 8978-8984.
9. Yunho Lee*, Jeyong Yoon, and Urs von Gunten. Spectrophotometric determination of Fe(VI) in water by ABTS. Water Research, 2005, 39, 1946-1953.
8. Yunho Lee*, Changha Lee, and Jeyong Yoon. Kinetics and mechanisms of DMSO (Dimethyl Sulfoxide) degradation by UV/H2O2 process. Water Research, 2004, 38, 2579-2588.
7. Min Cho, Yunho Lee, Hyenmi Chung, and Jeyong Yoon. Inactivation of Escherichia coli by photochemical reaction of ferrioxalate at slightly acidic and near-Neutral pHs. Applied & Environmental Microbiology, 2004, 70(2), 1129-1134.
6. Yunho Lee*, Min Cho, Jeeyeon Kim, and Jeyong Yoon. Chemistry of ferrate(Fe(VI)) in aqueous solution and its applications as a green chemical. J. Ind. & Eng. Chem., 2004, 10(1), 161-171.
5. Yunho Lee*, Ik-hwan Um, and Jeyong Yoon. Arsenic(III) oxidation by iron(VI) (ferrate) and subsequent removal of arsenic(V) by iron(III) coagulation. Environmental Science & Technology, 2003, 37(24), 5750-5756.
4. Yunho Lee*, Changha Lee, and Jeyong Yoon. High temperature dependence of 2,4-dichlorophenoxyacetic acid degradation by Fe3+/H2O2 system. Chemosphere, 2003, 51(9), 963-971.
3. Yunho Lee*, Joonseon Jeong, Changha Lee, Soomyung Kim, and Jeyong Yoon. Influence of various reaction parameters on 2,4D removal in photo/ferrioxalate/H2O2 process. Chemosphere, 2003, 51(9), 901-912.
2. Jeyong Yoon, Yoonki Kim, Jin Huh, Yunho Lee, and Dongsoo Lee. Roles of Oxidation and Coagulation in Fenton Process for the Removal of Organics in Landfill Leachate. J. Ind. & Eng. Chem., 2002, 8(5), 410-418.
1. J. Yoon, Y. Lee, and S. Kim. Investigation of the reaction pathway of OH radicals produced by Fenton oxidation in the conditions of wastewater treatment. Water Sci. & Technol., 2001, 44(5), 15-21.